Playing craps is a great feeling when players are riding the highs of the casino game, and a sinking feeling when they’re riding a losing streak. The object of the game is to win money by placing bets on the craps table. A shooter then rolls the dice, and if it’s a 7 to 11, then it’s a pass, and 2 through 6 are don’t pass. Simple enough, right? Well, there are ways to play this game, and they are simple to follow, and the systems will either win or fail. Starting from the best system to play to the worst, let’s get started.
The Hot & Cold Betting System
The reason this is the best of the four systems that are currently used today is that it relies on luck. For example, when a shooter rolls the dice, and either wins or loses, the player who uses this system will follow in suit. If the shooter wins, then the player will simply bet on the pass line and try to ride the winning streak. If the shooter loses, the player using this system will play don’t pass in an attempt to ride the losing streak. This would be better if the house didn’t have a total on the don’t come bets that are simply neither a win or lose.
The Rothstein System
Some older craps players may recognize this as the same system as the Martingale system. This system of betting works by betting one unit on the pass line or don’t pass line. If the player wins, they are up one unit and are betting one unit the next time. If they lose, then they must double their bet and add one unit. For example, a player bets $10 as one unit, and loses, the next bet they make would be $30, and if they lose again then they would bet $70. This happens until the player wins and isn’t a great way to play the game of craps.
The Watcher System
This is almost as terrible as the worst one, but off by a small margin. This system works by betting against a hot streak. For example, if a shooter rolls a pass line successfully on 4 straight rolls, the watcher will then join the game, and bet $10 on don’t pass. This is smart, right? Wrong, this is a great way to lose money. On each successful roll, the betters statistically gave a 54% pass, and 46% fail on each roll. So while the players think that a fifth consecutive roll couldn’t possibly pass, and thinking the odds are 31 out of 32 rolls fail, the realistic number for a pass is still 54%. So they are betting against the higher number. But what else could you expect from a system that only allows you to make $10 a day and walk away? If they lose, they simply double their bet and keep betting don’t pass until the win their money back plus $10.
The worst of them all is Hedge betting, as this system works by betting on both the pass line and any craps. Looking at it logically, it looks like a no-brain winner and is used by players to reduce their risk while playing. However, statistically, this number is off base. Playing the pass line on a maximum of 36 rolls results in 8 wins, 4 losses, and 24 no results. Players would double their money using just the pass line. This system doesn’t do that though, it bets on the pass line and any craps, this will allow for 12 wins in 36 rolls, but it also gives way to 24 loses in the same 36 rolls. So this is a flawed system from the off.